About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Friday, January 25, 2008

All About Me

Linda over at Straight Up and Slightly Dirty tagged me for the "Six Random Things " meme. It's not often that I get an invitation to natter on about myself, so thanks Linda! First the rules:
  1. link to the person that tagged you,

  2. post the rules on your blog,

  3. share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself,

  4. tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to this blog, and

  5. let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.

Now here's six random things about me that some out in the blogosphere may find mildly interesting:

  1. I shared a shower stall with Steve Hamilton, relief pitcher for the New York Yankees for many years--well not literally. Throughout my college years I lived with the Hamiltons as a nanny/mother's helper/starving student who wouldn't leave a good thing once she found it. Steve was athletic director and baseball coach at my college in the off season. At the end of the school year Steve's wife Shirl and I loaded the kids in the station wagon and joined him in the New York City 'burbs close to Yankee Stadium for the summer. About the shower stall: we lived in a very small house with six people and one bathroom so Steve and I had to use the basement shower by the sump drain.

  2. I've watched every Republican and Democratic presidential debate this year. I even rate the candidates' performances. For example: at last night's Republican debate in Boca Raton, FL I gave Romney a "competent", McCain "stiff/angry", Giuliani "shallow", Paul "frustrated", and Huckabee "not serious". I also keep a U.S. map of winners for state primaries and caucuses. In case there's a question about my obsession, I also have a running list of the number of delegates each candidate has won.

  3. I once slept out on the street all night in a ticket line to buy tickets for a Neil Diamond concert--are you figuring out just how old I am?

  4. I once dated a socially awkward accountant who won a Publisher's Clearinghouse promptness (he was an accountant!) prize of $2,700. Accepted his invitation to travel with him to New York for the Publisher's Clearinghouse publicity tour and prize ceremony. Somehow I never felt the same about SAA after he came down in the lobby of the Plaza Hotel with tie in hand and asked one of the other men to help him with his tie. PC is the real deal though, so don't throw away those entrance forms. But don't count on them for your retirement funds either.

  5. I never met a reality show that I didn't love--Amazing Race, Dancing with the Stars, Survivor, Project Runway, Top Chef to name a few. I keep weekly stats on who's winning and losing. Okay, I'll even admit to watching The Bachelor. Yes, I should get help.

  6. I read most magazines from back to front because I love the "last words" in most of them. I also read the editor's column in every magazine. Like to see what they promise to deliver that month.

With apologies to Linda, I won't be able to complete the last two tasks in the meme. I've only been blogging since last May and haven't built enough readership to feel comfortable with tagging six other bloggers. Hey, I'm from the south, but still don't hit on strangers! However, if this little exercise in self-revelation appeals, we'd love to have you share your "Six Randoms." Just link to this post and we'll come looking for you.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Neil Diamond --- you go girl! I never spent a night in a line for tickets, but I have connived my way into at least a dozen concerts. BTW, I was tagged by Linda, too, and as a new blogger (since November) am having fun seeing how everyone answered. I'm finding the blogosphere to be a very friendly and interesting place. Check mine out at http://picturethisatlast.blogspot.com

Linda said...

See? This is how you get bloggy friends! Who knew? I see you've already won over my Sis-in-law, Barb with your Neil Diamond story.

Loved your list, isn't it fun to, as you put it, natter on about yourself. Isn't that what blogging is all about?

Good job on this one and hold on to your sox, you'll get a lot of hits for Fun Monday!

Lane Mathias said...

You really do like keeping stats!

I loved Strictly Come Dancing, (which was the UK version of Dancing with the Stars I think). Completely addictive.

Karen said...

I've just discovered your blog, via Lovely Lane's, and love it!

I too adore reality tv - particularly America's Next Top Model. Sadly, we don't have Sky, so my brother records it for me and in the process, he's become hooked too (don't tell anyone though!)