About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Blog Celebration

(Our host for this week's Fun Monday, Sauntering Soul, was stuck in Atlanta traffic when she decided on our topic--describe the times when you are likely to act like a jerk. If you've ever experienced Atlanta traffic, you probably are not surprised that people acting like jerks surfaced as a topic for our host when she was in this situation. . .)



The drawing room at Netherfield was the scene of yet another sparring match between Mr. Darcy and Miss Bennet. The cause of this match was Miss Bingley's assertion that Mr. Darcy is a "man without fault." Anyone familiar with Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice knows that this comment would prompt a raised eyebrow and challenge from Miss Bennet to the validity of the claim on Mr. Darcy's perfection. And so it did.

Mr. Darcy responded to Miss Bennet's doubts about his perfect character with this: "I have faults enough Miss Bennet, but I hope they are not of understanding." Exactly my sentiments with this week's Fun Monday assignment. I could describe several instances when I have--and will in the future--behaved like a jerk. Instead, I'm going to use this post to be a wee bit opportunistic, a much more serious character flaw than everyday jerkiness.

Tomorrow, May 13th, is my one-year blog anniversary. Therefore, who could blame me for being somewhat opportunistic by trying to involve as many blogging buddies as possible in the Summit Musings anniversary celebration? Fun Monday participants are some of my most faithful readers. I enjoy learning more about your interests and the characters--two and four-legged--that surface on your blogs. I hope my stories have been a diversion for you as well.

Who knew that this jump off into the blogosphere would be so much fun? I started Summit Musings as a way to improve my technology skills in retirement, to maintain an on-going creative discipline, and to encourage discussion on a wide range of topics from politics to pop culture. Like Hillary, one year later I am still trying to "find my voice". Like Miss Bennet and her music, I'm a long way from becoming a "true proficient."

Back last August '07 I made some blog promises to both my readers and myself. Almost one year later I find that they still reflect my ideas of good blogging:

  • post regularly, not daily, but at least three times per week;
  • post shorter pieces, paragraphs, and sentences if I can do it--unfortunately more is often more in my view, but I try to remember that reading this blog MAY not be all people have to do;
  • write about big deals and nothings, attempting to always keep a balance;
  • never whine or rant--opine certainly--but not take the easy way out to good communication;
  • respect and appreciate my readers--I'll never slam your views and opinions--maybe give you a little "goose pinch" but never 'dis you;
  • work hard to improve the writing and format for Summit Musings so long-time readers will stay with me and new ones will sign on.

So, thanks for allowing me to be somewhat opportunistic by getting you to an anniversary celebration under a Fun Monday pretense. Hopefully, you don't thinking I'm being totally jerky. Next week it's back to following the rules. Now be sure to check out those times when other Fun Monday participants don't exactly act their best! Sauntering Soul

14 comments:

Celeste said...

Congratulations on the one year anniversary. I think it was a nice detour for a "jerk" post. :-)

Kim said...

Happy anniversary!

Lane Mathias said...

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog Faye and getting to know you over the past year. It's been an absolute pleasure.

Congratulations on your blogiversary!:-)

Alison said...

happy anniversary Faye...I think you are upholding those standards quite nicely!!

ChrisB said...

“Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.” Douglas Bader....so you can bend the rules especially for an anniversary. Congratulations for tomorow.

Hootin Anni said...

You think this is being 'jerky'? Oh I don't think so, not one bit.

This is cool to be able to be involved in your blog-a-versary!!! congrats on a wonderful blog...I always, ALWAYS enjoy dropping by.

Unknown said...

Those are perfect goals. :) Happy 1 year! But you want to never rant? Oh sometimes it's gotta come out or I'll explode. :)

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Good rules...all of them. By the way, I suppose turd does seem a little better than jerk.

IamwhoIam said...

Well congrates on the paper anniversary - but now I want a piece of candy.

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Happy BLOG Anniversary!!! Love the twist...congrats!

Sauntering Soul said...

Happy Anniversary Faye!

I've also enjoyed reading your blog since 'meeting' you via Fun Monday. You have some great goals and I think you have stayed true to them always. I should probably set some goals for my blog. I just ramble on and on with no goal in sight!

kitten said...

What better whay to do your 1 year celebration! I think you did a lovely job! My hats off to you!
I really try to visit people more than I do, but here lately I have fallen very short!

Peter said...

Hi Faye, thanks for pointing out what's wrong with my blog.... no rules... happy anniversary, its already here in Oz.

Patience-please said...

Congratulations on your blog-o-versary! I love your blog, and it's been a joy to get to "know" you.