Most weeks we have around 25-30 bloggers participating in the Fun Monday challenge, each of us giving our own personal twist to the assigned topic. Our little blog community is like a chevron of geese. We're all busy living our lives as best we can, sometimes relying on others to fly in front while we take a back position where we don't have to flap our wings so hard to move forward. Regardless of where you are in the formation, I'm sure you're thinking about 2008 and wondering how things will go for you in the new year. So, here's your question for this week, answer as briefly or extensively as you like:
"What's on your mind as we close out 2008 and begin
2009? Large and small. What are often your first thoughts the minute you wake up? When you're alone and unguarded? Working? Stuck in traffic? Playing with the children? Walking the dogs? When you can't sleep?"
I am so eager to read your responses to this question. I suspect that many of us will have the same things on our minds. We may live differently, but we mostly want the same things from life--and face the same challenges. That's good to know.
Now, here's what's on my mind lately:
1. Caregiver for my Sister--I'm putting this one first because it meets all the criteria: first thing I think about in the morning, lose sleep over, think about it when I'm walking the dog, stuck in traffic, working--you get the idea. Taking care of my sister, who's nine years older than I, has always been a major concern. Until July of '08 she was living independently, with some assistance from me. Early last year she started having health problems and then lost her apartment to a fire. I moved her in with me for about three months--which both of us hated. In October I got her settled into a nice, safe senior citizen's apartment complex about 10 minutes from my home. She's beginning to make friends. I'm trying to come to terms with my loss of freedom and privacy because of taking on her care. Frankly, I don't see much improvement in 2009. . .
2. Surviving the Bad Economy -- I'm very fortunate to have retirement funds from state teacher retirement system and a very stable organization where I worked for 18 years, plus Social Security. I worry though because I have no one else to fall back on in case of a financial or health emergency. I always said that I'd get a job if necessary, but now know that's not the given that it once was. So, I'm looking at all my expenses and figuring out how to live well on less.
3. Things Undone -- in addition to a "To Do" list, I also have a "Things Undone" list that gives me a lot of grief. I believe that it's important to be productive, even in retirement, but most days come up short.
4. Training for a Walk across the South -- my walking buddy Sally and I are signed up to do a week-long distance walk through several southern capitals in March. I must start training for this, but don't want Willie to know just yet. He would be too excited at the prospects of extended walks every day.
Well, that's a few of the things that are on my mind these days. After you've compared my list and yours, be sure to check out the following Fun Monday participants' lists. And thanks, to everyone who signed up to play this week:
1. Jan (host for January 12)
7. Cruise Mom
11. Pitts Academy
20. Hootin' Anni
22. Margaret, Brand New Mama
25. Mommy Wizdom (sort of!)
Oops! I gave you the wrong links for Sayre, Tracey, Cruise Mom, Pitts Academy, and Margaret. They're fixed now. Note to self: figure out Mr. Linky before hosting Fun Monday again!