About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Runnin' the Tank Out

Today we're enjoying the first significant--for Louisville--snowfall of the winter. A perfect excuse to share this delightful image from a Christmas card that I received from B. The message inside ". . .to my favorite free spirit."

Now it's wonderful to be thought of as a free spirit and, until recently, I saw myself as a person who looked for new adventures and took full advantage of all that life had to offer. The motto was "decide, plunge ahead, and never look back." As a result of this attitude I've had many exciting and challenging experiences in many great places. Sadly, I can't claim that same free spirit and zest for life in 2009.

As 2009 wound down there were all the discussions of significant events and "best of" lists for the year. The Courier-Journal printed a very clever collage of events for Kentuckiana--from Obama's presidency to the firing of U of L's football coach. I decided to collage Faye's 2009 and stalled out in March. In January I survived--at times thrived--for five days without power during an ice and snow storm that crippled the state. In March I completed a five state Volksport walk--averaging 10-12 km per day--with cousin M and friend S. The significant events ended there. For the remainder of my accomplishments, I read almost 40 memorable books and saw about the same number of movies. I walked Willie every day and kept him happy and well-balanced. I did monthly volunteer work. Every week I handled care giving issues for my older sister. I mowed grass in the spring and summer and raked leaves in the fall. I watched too much reality TV and NCIS re-runs. I joined the Postcrossings Project and now enjoy exchanging postcards with people all over the world. And I've blogged steadily for the year--an unusual follow through effort for me. It has been a pleasure sharing 2009 with you, dear readers.

So, how does all this free spiriting and tracking relate to "runnin' the tank out" ? The last week of December I watched the Kennedy Center Honors, as I'm sure many of you did. Of all the tributes for the honorees, Jon Stewart's description of Bruce Springsteen's, everyman's musician, life and work made me realize that 2009 had not been a year that I lived to it's fullest. He spoke of Bruce's working class beginnings, his drive and commitment to his music, his fans and his beliefs. He said that after all these years The Boss was a man who always "ran the tank out." And I thought: "Yes! That's what I'm missing and what I intend to recapture in 2010."

So, I'm not exactly sure what 2010 will bring. And I don't have to know the year's layout. Like The Boss, the important thing to do, regardless of what's in store, is to "run the tank out." None of us can afford to live any other way.

5 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

You are right on girlfriend...live life to its fullest. I think you do a great job of it Faye. I am trying to improve my life's plan also. Time waits for no one..so we better get started...NOW!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Great post. It's certainly made me think, and I'll aim to do the same in 2010.

KittyHawk said...

Here's to a better 2010.

Pamela said...

long sigh. The trick, I guess, is to enjoy the trip even if you're not going in the direction you'd planned.

Faye said...

janis--living life to the fullest is not so much about the big events, but it's finding the "growing places" in your everyday life. That's what I think.

debs--thanks. And thinking is the key, not just going through your days with that "time to make the donuts" mentality.

kittyhawk--#9? Thank you. And we must trust that 2010 will be better.

pamela--ah, you're tapping into tomorrow's Fun Monday theme! How did you guess?