About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

First of the Month - Sycamore Sky


In January I discovered an exciting blog photography meme started by Jan at Murrieta 365 . This meme appealed to me because I need to work on taking better photos, which do a lot to enliven and illustrate blog posts. Here's how it works:

Jan is calling her new meme First of the Month. Here are her directions: "The goal is to capture one thing repeatedly on the first day of each month. It can be a landscape, a person, an animal, a project; whatever your focus is fine. It can be a record of where you are each first day of the month." Interesting exercise, right?

I decided to photograph Kentucky skies. Every day I'm looking at the sky and taking photos of Mother Nature's many moods. She's been rather surly the past week--rain, rain, rain. Yesterday morning four tornadoes touched down in the area causing a lot of damage from straight line winds. On March 1, when the official photo is to be taken, the weather shifted. All day the sky has been a brilliant blue with not a cloud to be seen. Just perfect to show off the bare sycamore tree, icy white against blue skies.

Even if you know these clear blue skies are temporary, it's still lovely to see them on March 1. A promise that spring will come in its own time. If you'd enjoy seeing some more beautiful photography from all over and on many subjects, just click on Jan's web page for a list of other First of the Month players.

13 comments:

Sayre said...

There is something particularly intense and beautiful about a blue sky the morning after such violent weather... I never could decide if that was nature mocking us in our inability to control her, or if it was a sign of hope.

Jan n Jer said...

I love to take pics of the sky looking through trees. In a few weeks that tree will be loaded with buds. Once again I forgot about this meme...gotta go take my picture and post it. Have a great week Faye.

Living Life said...

What a beautfil crisp blue sky! It makes a lovely back drop for the barren tree in the foreground.

daddy d said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly said...

You have picked a great topic for the first of each month. One year, my husband photographed the sunrise throughout an entire year on as many days as possible.

Jan said...

This month your sky is much bluer than ours. Great photos.

kayerj said...

It is a lovely promise and my favorite is the first photo, the contrast of the white against the blue is stunning. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Good Company said...

Love the blue sky! It's on my list this year to get a real camera and learn how to take pictures, too. But until then, I did snap pictures at various times to show the progression of our flowering pear tree--my favorite and always the first to bloom.

I like Molly's idea of capturing sunrises, but I'm never up then.

pip said...

Such a beautiful blue sky!

Millie said...

Beautiful blue skies! It looks like the one I was capturing (on the 2nd). Mine is here. http://edenhills.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/under-a-blue-sky/

Coffeedoff said...

Lovely phot, we have not seen many blue skies here yet, only grey. But at least we dont have violent weather like tornadoes.

Dianne said...

I think I'll do this starting next month

I love your photos
bare trees are so expressive

Pamela said...

I just got back from my week being a doting mother and grandmother after Kar's surgery.

So I am late -- BUT I JUST GOT MINE UP!

That is a gorgeous blue sky there. Promises. Yes. It's promise blue.