About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Monday, August 18, 2014

Catching Light - Mykonos at Dawn

After a blog re-design hiatus of eight months, a new meme, "Inspiring Photography-Catching Light" hosted by Monica at Nature Footstep Memes has inspired me to get posting again. So, please ignore the signs of "under construction" on my blog and enjoy the breaking dawn light as my cruise ship, the Lewis Crystal, came into the harbor of the Greek island of Mykonos (June 2014).  All these photos were shot through my cabin port holes. That "crackling" is from salt spray on the glass.

(Click on images to enlarge --I'm still trying to figure out how to manage larger photos in my blog template. :-)

I started shooting before dawn, sun rising over the open sea:


Here you can see ghostly outlines of the Mykonos harbor and its lights through heavy fog:


A favorite shot in this series, the little red tug boat that could -guide our ship into the harbor:

 
Shadowed structures on the dock:

 
Views: of the waterfront before fog fully lifted, sunlight just starting to hit the buildings:
 
 
Golden dawn light on the harbor:
 

Hope you enjoyed my attempts to "catch the light". Be sure to go over to Monica's place at Nature Footstep Memes to link to more light shots.

15 comments:

NatureFootstep said...

Glad you are back. :)
I love your images. Not only have they great light, they are also very artistic. Love them.

Lane Mathias said...

Beautiful. Each shot has a Turner atmospheric quality.

Pamela said...

very nice!
In the meantime I probably won't show up often --
Seems I'm not doing much blogging (actually none) and very little reading them.

Leovi said...

Beautiful dawn lights, wonderful trip !!

betty-NZ said...

Lovely light in each of your shots.

Lotta said...

Hello, I´m glad you like my pic´s. Yes, it´s rowanberry. I love our lake Vättern, the water and the light are different every day...
I also like your shots very mutch, lovelu lights.
Have a nice day!
Lotta

Annemor said...

I enjoyed each and every one of the glimpses you gave from Mykonos.
The red tug made me smile :)
Thank you.
Mormor

Jan n Jer said...

You caught the light very well Faye. I need a jump start to get blogging again...this meme may do just that!

Unknown said...

Welcome back! Like the window effect.

Lmkazmierczak said...

Lovely series...Have a great week♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/noon-moon/

Lmkazmierczak said...

Lovely series...Have a great week♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/noon-moon/

ulla laiho said...

Beautiful pictures - I like the effect of the window.

Brian King said...

These are beautiful! Nice job! Welcome back, too! Good to see you posting again.

Sayre said...

I love that last one - it looks like a painting!

Unknown said...

I really love these pictures. Glad you are back on the blog circuit.