About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Blog "I Dos"

Readers, I'm back-k-k-k! And, very aware that there have been no posts on "Summit Musings" since June 24. Thanks to all of you who have kept checking only to find the same old stuff. After the initial challenge and excitement of getting my blog up and circulating, I started having some "What's It All About, Alfie?" moments. What kind of writing should I do--essays on the issues of the day, humor, pop culture commentary, or daily chronicles of my exciting life? Am I going to be a daily or weekly blogger? How do I expand readership beyond a patient circle of friends? How do I get readers to comment? When will I get over the fear of not having the technical skill to fix--or prevent--blogging problems that will come up? And the list goes on. . .

For the past two months I've been answering these questions. I've checked out hundreds of blogs, going back to the ones that I really enjoy and admire--mostly it's the writing that gets me. I also signed on to several "how to" blogging sites--FYI, stay-at-home moms rule in this area! I even bought and am reading Blogging for Dummies just to understand the lingo and technical side of the blogosphere. Topic aside: are any of you, like me, mildly offended by these books? I may not know how to blog, but I'm NOT a dummy!

So, to the title of this post. Blog "I dos", or promises, to both readers and myself are to:

  1. post regularly--not daily maybe--but at least 4-5 times weekly;
  2. post shorter pieces, paragraphs, and sentences if I can do it--unfortunately, more is more in my view, but I'll try to remember that reading this blog MAY not be all people have to do;
  3. write about big deals and nothings, attempting to always keep a balance;
  4. never whine or rant--opine certainly--but not take these easy ways out to communicate;
  5. respect and appreciate my readers--I'll never slam your views and opinions--maybe give you a little "goose-pinch" but never 'dis you.

Well, these guidelines pretty much set the stage for the "Summit Musings" fall surge. I hope you all like reading this stuff as much as I enjoy writing it. And, if there's more "I dos" that need to be considered, just send them on.

1 comment:

Janice said...

I am so glad you're baaack. As I emailed Saturday, I was afraid you'd gone to your eternal rest . . . or DIED!

I really enjoy reading your blog. And, I'm sure it is MAHVALUS therapy. Don't be expecting any cogent comments from me, however. I told you I can't write.