About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Teaser Tuesday - Good Old Dog by Nicholas Dodman


This is my Good Old Dog Willie. We've been family for over 14 and a half years now. Willie is aging well--active, good eater, even keeled. He's never sick, so only sees the vet for annual checkups and shots. As with many older dogs he's getting pretty lumpy-notice the large one on his shoulder. Last year the vet biopsied a lump on his hip and determined that it was malignant. At Willie's age I decided not to subject him to surgery, so we're just going along enjoying life. However, I watch and want to know as much as possible about caring for an older dog. That's why I was so glad to find Good Old Dog by Dr. Nicholas Dodman, my Teaser Tuesday book selection for this week.

Teaser Tuesday is described by its host Miz B over at Should be Reading as a "weekly bookish meme" open to any reader who wants to play along. If, like me, you're always curious about what people are reading or on the lookout for the next great read, then this may be your meme. If you want to play, just click on Miz B's link above for the very simple rules.



Good Old Dog

by Nicholas Dodman, BVMS

"But old age is not a disease. It is a stage of life. Yes, the older a dog, the more challenging the medical treatments. But, as they say, with age, what is lost on the swings is gained on the merry-go-round." p. 4


Book Description: As noted in the book's subtitle, Dr. Dodman and other faculty at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University provide expert advice for keeping your aging dog happy, healthy and comfortable in this last stage of life. The book is organized around actual case studies of dogs treated by the veterinary faculty at Tufts. Each case study is then followed by commonsense, balanced background information so that you, as the pet owner, can make the right decisions for your dog. Some valuable chapter topics include: proper diet, common medical conditions and diseases in aging dogs, dementia, adapting the physical environment, and end-of-life decisions. In my case, I especially appreciated the descriptions of different cancers in dog, symptoms, and treatment options. It helped me know that I was doing right by Willie.


In the last year or two several friends have experienced the pleasure and pain of living with a good old dog. I wish I could have loaned them this book to ease the way. For myself, I've been lucky to have four great dogs--Zack, Frank, Dan, and now Willie--live to ripe old ages. Each of them has taught me valuable lessons about living well and growing old.

6 comments:

Sayre said...

My dogs are not old now, but they will be one day. They are the new dogs after our Good Old Dogs were put to sleep. They told us when they were ready - but it doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye.

I need to get a copy of this book - we do pretty well with old dogs that we've had a while, but may be inheriting a 14 year old dachsund in August - another good dog, but very old. She may not make it that far and the point would be moot - but just in case...

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, what a lovely comment on "aging" as just another version of life.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Good Company said...

That quote doesn't just apply to dogs, but people as well. Except, I get sick going in circles. I'm glad you found this book to help with this process and to appreciate the time you have left with him.

joanygee said...

I like the Dodman books but haven't got the one you've been reading. Our two GSDs are rising 3 and 10. I've put the book on my to buy list.

Two Pitties in the City said...

Thanks for sharing this. I was just thinking about how quickly time does go, and since we adopted both of our pooches as adults, they are now middle-aged. I think I will need to look into this. Willie is quite cute, and it sounds like he has a great active life.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

My dog had to have a biopsy last year, thankfully it was nothing to worry about, but it gave me a fright.

Thanks for telling us about this book, it sounds very useful.