About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Old Frankfort Pike - a Drive through Kentucky Horse Country


This is Old Frankfort Pike, a narrow two lane tree-canopied road between Midway and Frankfort, which winds through some of Kentucky's most beautiful horse country.  Last week my friend Sherry and I took this road home after a lunch with another friend in Midway.  I had warned Sherry that there would be many stops because I was looking for photo ops.  She very gamely became a crack scene spotter, even though she feared for her life when I frequently swerved off the road and jumped out of the car with camera at ready!

Old Frankfort Pike runs past some of Kentucky's grandest horse farms and every place you passed was a postcard worthy shot with the horse barns, grazing thoroughbreds, classic wooden fences and dry stone walls.  I was just thrilled with the photos I got, even though most were taken quickly because of the traffic danger.  I'll try to ration them out over the next week or so to not "over-estimate" your interest on horse farms and Kentucky tourism. :-)

This is just one of many imposing gates that limit public access to valuable thoroughbred horses:


Here's a typical horse barn with gabled and spired roof.  Horses were peacefully grazing in the farm pastures:


And here you have two views from the entrance to Darley, a Dubai Millennium Farm--yes, Middle Eastern sheiks love Kentucky thoroughbred racing:


Old dry stone walls first built by slaves and Irish immigrants and stained horse fencing lined the pike:


And finally, meet Olivia M.  She came over to the fence to chat with me and allowed this photo.  I was just thrilled at these gentle creatures.  Without any bribes on me, they just ambled over to the fence every time we stopped, all friendly and curious.


I hope you've enjoyed this little country drive.  If so, come back all this week for more.

6 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

you live in an amazingly beautiful area.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

You do live in a beautiful area! The horse barn is amazing and I love rock/stone fences. The horses are beautiful too.

Brian King said...

I've been down that road many times! :-) You weren't very far from me, either. I don't know how many things I've seen I'd like to photograph, but can't find a place to stop. You got some beautiful shots and very representative of this area!

Jan n Jer said...

I enjoyed the ride...absolutely gogeous area! You got some great shots!!!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

what a gorgeous area. so lovely. would love to see more. such a beautiful location. love the road line, 1st shot i guess it was ... ( ;

Living Life said...

How grand and beautiful horse country is! You took some fabulous photos!!