About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

What to do in Paris, the City of Love, on Valentine's Day



This photo was taken  in 2002 on a visit to Paris and before I had a digital camera.  Appropriately for this Valentine's Day post you can see that "luv" themed graffiti decorated the construction walls around the Eiffel Tower.  I was back in Paris in 2008 with a better camera, so decided to share some possibilities for spending the day with your sweetheart in this most romantic of cities. (Click on the collages to enlarge.)

Morning


Row 1 L-R:  view the River Seine and city from the top observation deck of the Eiffel Tower; watch school children dressed in traditional French smocks playing in the park; take a city tour by bus.

Row 2 L-R: shop on the very fashionable Champs Elysees; view the city from the Eiffel Tower; have lunch in a cafe.

Row 3 L-R:  walk through the park near Eiffel Tower; driver in Paris traffic; check out the cafe menu for a coffee and croissant break.  

Late Afternoon and Evening


Row 1 L-R:  men get a Parisian haircut; check out the sidewalk scene, including these gendarmes; take a cruise on the River Seine in a glass-topped boat.

Row 2 L-R:  buy your sweetheart some flowers; enjoy the beautiful architecture; drive by the Eiffel Tower at night.

Row 3 L-R:  buy some fancy French chocolates, browse the book stalls along the Seine; and, finally, end your day in the City of Love with an authentic cabaret show at La Nouvelle Eve (see the cancan and be prepared to be just a bit shocked!)

Hope you've enjoyed this little fantasy tour and that you have a great Valentine's Day where ever you are.

4 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Paris has to be my favourite city to visit, in fact I think I could live there. I visited two summers ago and loved every second. Thanks for these great photos.

Lois Evensen said...

What a lovely day you had. :) Happy Valentine's Day to you, too. :)

joanygee said...

Thank you for bringing back happy memories for me of the times I too spent in Paris. Like you it was in the days before digital cameras.

A Colorful World said...

Oooh, how wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing Paris with us. My Mom and my sister have been but alas, I haven't. Would love to go!

The desert is an acquired taste for most people. I believe in finding all the good in the place where you happen to be! I think I have become a Sonoran Desert trumpet-blower for a lot of people who never knew... :-)