About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Friday, November 8, 2013

Friday Fences - Locust Grove Split Rail



 
click on images to enlarge
 
Re-visiting historic Locust Grove farm, owned by the family of  George Rogers Clark in the early 1800s.  Clark was founder of Louisville, a Revolutionary War hero and explorer on the western Lewis and Clark expedition. The farm is about 20 minutes drive from downtown Louisville, Kentucky.  I've used these photos of the split rail fence before, but thought they might be interesting in a collage to see how the rails would look side by side when shot from different perspectives.

Linking to Friday Fences at Life According to Jan and Jer .

12 comments:

genie said...

The old split rail fences like these are beautiful, and we I them at historical site mostly. Locust Grove Farm must be so nice to visit. Your shots are so pretty. Yes, you guessed it right. Bud bikes to the track-calls me from fire station- I get in car and drive down-he slows down his pace and walks with me for a mile and a half-I drive home-he finishes his run and bikes home. It works great, and gets me to walk.

Jan n Jer said...

Love this kind of fence...very historical! Nice shots Faye

TexWisGirl said...

so wonderfully picturesque.

Dave said...

Lovely images, are these type of fences designed to stop animals leaping over? or for another purpose?

Vores have said...

Great pictures / collages :) Hanne Bente

Carletta said...

I want to live in that little cabin on that land!
Looks like such a peaceful place.
Nice fence finds and lovely collage!
Have a wonderful weekend Faye!

Rose said...

Just where is this...I will try to think and google it...but would love to visit it. Beautiful shots.

Rose said...

Just thought, have you read Long Knife by James Alexander Thom? It is about G.R. Clark...and his book From Sea to Shining Sea is about the whole Clark family.

LV said...

Very nice scenes. Great fence shot. Enjoyed it and the history.

Sally in WA said...

I do like split rail fences. You found a nice one!

Brian King said...

Now that's a beautiful setting! Love the fence!

Sayre said...

I love those split rail fences. They make me think of summers in North Carolina with my grandmother and great grandfather.