About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday Fences - Chet Learns to Roll Snowballs


Wheeee!  Chet here, Folks - here I am out in the backyard enjoying my first snow.  Excited doesn't even begin to describe how I felt when the Roommate let me out in this stuff for the first time.  As you can see I'm just a blur for the camera as I raced hither and yon.


This is the classic downward dog yoga pose.  The Roommate says you need to focus on a fixed point to execute this move.  A bone works fine for me.

But I digress. The Roommate is allowing me to take over our blog today to show you this amazing trick that I learned to do in this stuff--snowball rolling. So, in five easy steps:


Step 1 - dig out one of the cement blocks that the Roommate chocks under the fence to keep me from digging out of the yard.  Too big to carry, so. . .


Step 2 - . . .start rolling!  At first it's so easy that I can stop to snack on a little snow.  Not as good as a Slim Jim, but not bad.


Step 3 - take a moment to strategize when the ball gets too heavy.  Work smarter, not harder is my motto.


Step 4 - Reverse direction makes easier rolling.  Wonder why that Greek guy Sisyphus didn't figure this out when he kept trying to push that rock up a mountain?


Step 5 - Good enough for the first day since I had to go inside for my dinner.  The next day I put in a few hours perfecting my first snow ball.  If we get another snow this winter maybe I'll build a snowdog.  Stay tuned and don't forget to enjoy the season you're in.

Now for some more Friday Fences, and the goins' on behind them, be sure to check out my friend Janis at Life According to Jan and Jer .

12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

love that speckled back and spotted hind end. :) very talented, chet!

Lane Mathias said...

Chet, you're a natural in this white stuff.
And I'll have to tell my girls 'enjoy the season you're in'. They are such wimps in the cold

Revrunner said...

A very gifted dog. :-)

Jan n Jer said...

I bet you had fun just watching him play around in the snow. Nice series of pics...they tell a story!

Pamela said...

wait until he asks for a carrot for its nose!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

awww, some one is having fun. so cute!! ( :

Living Life said...

I admire your energy, Chet. You could run circles around Coop. Would love to see a "snow dog". Have fun in the snow!

Brian King said...

LOL! That's awesome! If he ever builds a snowman, be sure to take photos!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Oh, Chet you are having so much fun! I'm working on my downward dog in yoga too. If you ever build that snowdog be sure the roomate gets a picture of it for us.

Linda said...

So cute! I admire your ability, Chet! I would have been way too cold to do that much work!

Nature in the Burbs said...

I never heard of a dog rolling snowballs! So funny.

Sally in WA said...

Chet - you are one smart dog. And the roommate too for volunteering to take photos of your genius in action. I hope you gave the roommate a treat for being such a good sport. And also that you got a treat for being so smart.