About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

First of the Month & Good Photos Challenge Day 18 - Sun Flare


30 Day Good Photos Challenge, Day 18 Subject - Sun Flare

I achieved this sun flare effect by shooting directly into the sun (not recommended by your opthomologist-seriously!) at 8:30 a.m. on August 1 when the temperature climbed to 96 degrees. It has been a long time since we've had any rain so the camera was able to pick up those lovely magenta colors in addition to the starbust. I saw nothing but the blazing sun through the trees. All this color was just waiting for the lens to pick up--magic!

First of the Month Photography Meme - Kentucky Skies

Decided that this photo could do double work for the good photos challenge and first of the month meme. All year long I've been scanning Kentucky skies, camera in hand, in order to participate in a monthly photography meme that attracts aspiring photographers from all over. The idea is that we look at our surroundings and record the changes from month to month. The host for this meme is Jan at Murrieta 365 . Here's how it works: "The goal is to capture one thing repeatedly on the first day of each month. It can be a landscape, a person, an animal, a project; whatever your focus is fine. It can be a record of where you are each first day of the month." I decided to photograph Kentucky skies.

7 comments:

Leora said...

OK, I will not try it, but you did a achieve a beautiful shot! What color.

Faye said...

First of the Month Commenters--thanks for stopping by. For some of you I'm having trouble leaving a comment on your post with my google account. Sorry. Must resolve this because your photos are certainly comment worthy!

ari_1965 said...

Love the shot!

EG CameraGirl said...

It sure is pretty...and I promise not to tell your eye doctor! :)

Millie said...

That starburst really is bright and conveys the feeling of the hot summer. Very nice.

Pamela said...

slow me getting around. I think I needed my sun glasses. Wow bright!

kayerj said...

I love the color you captured in your shot. nice job. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on