About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Good Photos Challenge Bonus Shot - Avatar



30 Day Good Photos Challenge, Bonus Shot - Avatar

After finishing the 30 day good photos challenge yesterday it seems strange to not be posting a daily photo here. So, thought I'd sneak in one bonus shot. One photography trick that I wanted to learn this past month was how to create a personal avatar--no luck. I found tutorials for turning my pic into a character from the movie Avatar or the wildly popular Japanese anime. Not what I was looking for. My avatar would be a variation of the Russian/Ukrainian folk art nesting dolls. To me, they represent a life or personality that is multi-layered and always having something new to uncover. What would your avatar be?

These dolls belong to my sister. I bought them for her at a street market in Kiev, Ukraine when I was there working with the country's farm women's councils in 2001. The market was just across the street from this wedding cake of church - St. Andrews Orthodox.

3 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

That would be very interesting to figure out ones Avatar!!! You are really making me think now!! LOL

Faye said...

Janis-and once you've figured it out, how to convert to a really cool blog or facebook profile pic?

Sayre said...

I love the nesting dolls. We had a set, but Z was a little too fascinated with them and a half would disappear here and there until we had half the big one and half of the next to smallest one. I don't know if he ate them or what because we never did find the other pieces!

Those pictures are wonderful. I wonder what my avatar would be - I must give some thought.