About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What to Pack for Scandinavia Tour?

In just a few days I'm leaving on a jet plane for a Scandinavian tour. Have made most of my what to pack decisions--four pairs of black pants, comfortable--I hope--walking shoes, and a new raincoat with generous hood for shelter against all the rain I see in the long range weather forecasts for Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. Now I can concentrate on the most important items, other than my camera and plenty of batteries. That's reading material:




Legacy --the inside scoop on Elizabeth Tudor, girl to woman

The Leopard --last of a series of Det. Harry Hole mysteries set in Oslo. I'll be able to walk Harry's city beat.

Letters Written During a Short Residence in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark--travel memoir of Scandinavia written by Mary Wollstonecraft, England's Gloria Steinham, in late 1700s.

The Voyager --must always take an old friend with you on a trip for when homesickness hits. For me, it's Jamie and Claire's adventures.

Planning a trip and learning about where you'll visit is a big part of the pleasure of traveling. Packing is not! Well, except for deciding what books will take up a good portion of your 50 lb. baggage limit.

3 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

Oh the excitment stirring around you Faye!!! Sounds like you have made very practical choices on what to pack. I know you will have a very enjoyable trip...you know how to seize the moment. Looking forward to seeing lots of photos of this beautiful country you are visiting. Be safe n have a blast!!!!

diana said...

Maybe you should invest in a Kindle for your travels. It would save on space and baggage weight. Then you could bring home more souvenirs!!!!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Some great choices there, but I agree with the Kindle suggestion, I took mine away this year and it was brilliant having lighter luggage and more space.