About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Colors of Spring


Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night. ~Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters of Rainer Maria Rilke

In anticipation of the first day of spring I've been on the lookout for the color wheel of the season. Here are my favorite photos that just shout spring--like the masses of pansies above:

Yellow - forsythia
Green - the soft green of the weeping willow

Pink - saucer magnolias that so often bloom too early and then get nipped by frost or freeze

White - bradford pear blooms, like a spring snow storm


Purple and orange - someone described this sunrise as a psychedelic slurpee!



Purple - crocus


Red - Kentucky cardinal, our state bird and the perfect harbinger of spring around hereWhat says spring in your parts?

12 comments:

Linda said...

What a marvelous color wheel of spring! Very clever - gorgeous photographs!

Living Life said...

Your photos just scream "spring"! Love them all especially the one of the purple crocus. Happy spring to you my friend!

Jan n Jer said...

Great photos Faye...talk about a color wheel...that first shot covers it all! Love that magnolia shot too...the blue sky as the backdrop is awesome!

TexWisGirl said...

you've got quite the full palette there!

George said...

Each of your photos says 'Spring' in the best possible way. You've captured some great colors, and although the sky is gorgeous, I think I really like your pansy photo best.

penny said...

What a beautiful array of spring flowers with all their gorgeous colors.
Thanks Faye, they just made my day.
cheers :)

melifaif said...

COMPLETELY fabulous group of photos. Beautiful job. The Pink - saucer magnolias stole my heart. And the sunset made it melt...

Hula Girl at Heart said...

The same things in this end of Kentucky. Your photos are all lovely, but I especially like the joyous color in the first one.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I especially love the forsythia. We have a magnolia tree, althought it's more of a long stick with usually only one or two buds each year.

Anonymous said...

Oh so colorful & pretty! =)

Clint Baker said...

You have lots of beautiful pictures! My wife loves cardinals!

Roan said...

Hi Faye..saucer magnolia. That's a new one on me, but they do look the same. Thanks for the identification. My Lincoln home is in Illinois, just south of Charleston, IL and about ten minutes from my house. It is called
Lincoln Log Cabin Historical Site and was the home of Thomas and his second wife, Sarah Bush Lincoln. I don't think Abe ever lived there, but visited and even tried a court case in the courthouse where I work. One of these days I want to go visit their KY home. My son lives in Nashville, so perhaps on a trip down to see him. Is it interesting? That cardinal is gorgeous! Love the crocus, too.