About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

First of the Month - Creek Abstracts

This year I'm focusing on Louisville's wonderful public parks for the First of the Month photography meme. In January and February I featured Cherokee and Seneca Parks. After an extremely violent weather day yesterday with high winds, rain, and tornadoes, I decided to stay in my neighborhood and see what was interesting in the park where Willie and I walk. Frankly, it wasn't very appealing except for these shots of a small creek that runs through the park. I was trying to shoot at a terrible time when the light was all wrong--almost high noon.

Still, was lucky enough to get what I'm calling "creek abstracts". In this one the sun was making sparkles on the water and rocks:

Here I was hoping to get shots of some moss covered rocks with water running over that I'd spotted in the last week or so. Unfortunately, it rained just enough to muddy the water, but still I was pleased with the result:


And finally, I spotted some wildlife. . .
First of the Month: the idea is that we look at our surroundings and record the changes from month to month. The host for this meme is Jan at Murrieta 365 .


8 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

the first photo is beautiful - full of color. :) of course your pup is adorable (er, i mean wild...)

glad your weather went thru w/o damage to you.

Jan n Jer said...

Glad to hear your area was spared Faye...nasty weather still in that area too! I love your reflection shots...and that wild animal looks strangely familiar...LOL

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

You always take the most beautiful photos. I love the picture of the wildlife!

Millie said...

I really do like that first shot. Glad you are safe after the bad weather. Mine is here: http://edenhills.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/march-in-like-a-lion/

Jan AKA Wammy said...

I love them all.

Hope you all were spared in the tornado last night.

Faye said...

Thanks all, for your concern. The tornadoes did miss the Louisville metro area where I live. We did hide in the basement for a time. The storms went north and northeast, leaving death and destruction. The same for neighboring Indiana. Our hearts are heavy today.

NatureFootstep said...

I love shots like these. The colors is so subtle and the light in the watersurface makes is soft.

You asked if my shots are from my hometown. Yes, mostly. If I am not psoting from my travels. But then I usually mention it. I´m living in a rather small town and rarely go to big ones. That is why I find the small things. :)

Living Life said...

I can see the sparkle in the water! Great job on your photo challenges.

So glad you survived all those tornadoes. I'm sure it is hard to see all the devastation in the area. My thoughts go out to everyone who endured the storms.

Hugs to Willie!