About Me

My photo
Recent retiree--35 year's experience teaching reading, English, adult basic education and volunteer leadership skills. Started this blog to exchange ideas and commentary with friends and others having an interest in joining the discussions. Greatest life accomplishments include: 1.organized my 3rd grade class to check out library books for me to get around librarian's weekly limit--Amazon.com, the Mullins Elementary 3rd Grade Class of 1956 is still waiting for "thank you" notes; 2. volunteered in the Peace Corps, island of St. Kitts, West Indies; 3.taught adults to read, earn their GEDs., and speak English as a second language; 4. bought a border collie puppy for $6, got evicted rather than give him up, and began a life-long love affair with all things "Dog"; 5. joined a physical fitness boot camp in my mid-50s--don't mess with someone who's been doing regulation pushups in wet grass at 5:30 a.m.; 6. walked across Northern England with best friend Sally--over 80 miles from the Irish to North Seas; and 7. travelled to many foreign countries for pleasure and work.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Quotography/Friendship


"Friendship is certainly the finest balm."
Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Actually young Catherine Moreland says "friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love" when she fails to see her Mr. Tilney at the Pump Room in Bath. Instead, she meets a new friend who promises to be very amusing and will help take her mind off Mr. Tilney. In the modern age where words are often taken out of context --often with disastrous results--Jane's words are true in both quotes. My good friend and excellent needlewoman Sally embroidered this sampler for me because I'm such a fan of Jane Austen.

For more Monday quotography be sure to check out Kelly at Living Life in PA .

9 comments:

Linda said...

What a lovely sampler! And to be done for you by a friend...makes it extra special!

Jan n Jer said...

How thoughtful of your friend. The time involved in making this means so much and shows the caring sentiments. One can only pray for such a good friend in their life Faye!

Lisa said...

I envy those who have the patience to needlepoint. This sampler is lovely. I hadn't heard this quote before, and really like it.

Unknown said...

Beautiful simpler! Thanks for sharing Joann

Leovi said...

Yes, a beautiful definition, friendship is like a balm. Friendship is the necessary lubricant for our souls, and rubs them Ciando not damaged. Greetings.

Living Life said...

A very nice keepsake indeed! And a new quote for me - - one I have not heard until now. Thanks for sharing Faye.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Faye, Thanks for visiting my blog. Please come back anytime. I am enjoying yours.

The Sampler is awesome... Jane Austen's words are wonderful... Friendship is the BEST... I have met so many new friends through blogging...

Thanks again for visiting.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

I agree with you that both versions of the quote are true. I like the sampler with the quote that was made for you.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

What a lovely and talented friend you have.